Dickinson Place Holiday Cottages

Caravan Sales:
View our current holiday homes for sale

Email Enquiries:
Please do contact us if you wish to make an enquiry

dickinson

History - The Quaint Side of Allonby

At first sight Allonby appears to be just one long straggly street with most of the houses on the landward side of the main road. If you make the effort though and get out of the car there are quite a few surprises. The village owes much of its development to the Quakers, many of whom lived here or had family connections.

Reading_Rooms
READING ROOMS
The large brick building on the roadside which is in a bad state of repair was The Reading Rooms It was designed by a young Quaker called Alfred Waterhouse an architect from Manchester. This gentleman later designed the Natural History Museum in London and in total contrast Strangeways Prison as well. It has recently been purchased privately to be made into a house.
The_Baths
THE BATHS
Behind the main street there is the old cobble road which was the main road through Allonby at one time. Facing into the square is a splendid building called The Baths.It was built by a group of well to do Quakers in or around 1830. Sea water was pumped up to the baths every day and it was very popular with the Victorians. It displays a majestic portico facing into the cobbled square and looks totally out of place here.
Fish_Yards
THE FISH YARDS
Operated by another Quaker family called Beeby The Fish Yards was a very prosperous business. Here, the catch of herring was gutted and salted daily. Barrels were made on the spot at the cooperage and the herring packed away into them. In later years this range of buildings became a Riding School, and their horses roamed freely around the village
North_Lodge
NORTH LODGE
Thomas Richardson, a Quaker and Banker in London, married an Allonby girl Martha Beeby in 1799. To provide a holiday home for his family, in the 1830s he built at the north end of the village a large house called North Lodge. It was a fine house and at either side of this were six cottages where local widows and spinsters could live rent free. The main house had a fine central staircase which was spoiled somewhat when it was converted into 4 flats.
Allonby_Church_and_Sunday_School
ALLONBY SCHOOL
Thomas Richardson also built the school at Allonby and endowed it with money to be spent on training bright pupils to be student teachers.
It is a fine building made of sandstone, very solid and traditionally built. It is a thriving little school and recently had the good fortune to get a grant to extend into the playground where a large hall, dining room and extra classroom were added. Eventually the charity was taken over by the Charity Commissioners but defying all the odds it is still on the go today. The amount of money to be spent each year has naturally decreased in value but villagers are proud to serve as Trustees. On the original Board of Trustees there were two member of the Williamson family and there are still two members serving as Trustees today, (albeit not the same two!) There are no student teachers now but the charity still follows the aims of the original endowment by giving grants to students wishing to go into higher education.
Meeting_Houses
THE FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE
Also to be found near the north end of the village is the former Friends Meeting House, where the Allonby Quakers worshipped. It was originally a cottage, but such was the number of members living in the village that in 1703 it was converted into the meeting house and extended in 1732. It was used for worship until 1991 when it was sold and converted back into a dwelling.

History - 1942 Archive

During WWII the RAF were stationed at Silloth Air Fields. Apart from protecting the country one of their roles was to take aerial photographs of every square mile of the country. This would enable the ordinance survey maps to be developed.

The photograph shown above was taken in 1942. Revealing the village in the post war period. Land marks that are taken for granted today are yet to be constructed.

A modern day aerial view of Allonby is available online here. This site allows you to zoom in to see the area in more detail.

History - Exract from Charles Dickens

"discovered that the most delicious piece of sea-coast to be found within the limits of England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, the Isle of Man, and the Channel Islands, all summed up together, was Allonby on the coast of Cumberland. There was the coast of Scotland opposite to Allonby, said Mr. Goodchild with enthusiasm; there was a fine Scottish mountain on that Scottish coast; there were Scottish lights to be seen shining across the glorious Channel, and at Allonby itself there was every idle luxury (no doubt) that a watering-place could offer to the heart of idle man"

"There were fine sunsets at Allonby when the low flat beach, with its pools of water and its dry patches, changed into long bars of silver and gold in various states of burnishing, and there were fine views - on fine days - of the Scottish coast."

History - The Bridge

Since 1848, the coastal road from Maryport to Silloth had crossed the beck at Allonby on a fine cast-iron bridge, seen in this postcard view.

On November 28th, 1905 the beck was very swollen due to heavy rain when a traction engine approached from the Maryport side, hauling three large wagons containing Caris and Foxe's Venetian Gondolas - a steam powered fairground ride.

The first part of the engine was almost over the bridge when it collapsed beneath the weight.

The engine fell over sideways, crashing through the railings and into the beck.. The driver and his mate were able to 'let off steam' and jump clear.

P.C. Richardson was soon in command of affairs and directed other vehicles through the swollen waters. Mr Twentyman brought some planks from an old ship, which was being broken-up on the shore, to provide a temporary walkway over the remains of the bridge.

Work began quickly to recover the damaged vehicles but the bridge was beyond repair.

It was replaced with a fine stone built hump back structure which still remains in use today.

We are suppliers of ...

We are suppliers of Willberby Holiday HomesWe are suppliers of BK Bluebird Holiday HomesWe are suppliers of Arrad Foot Balconies

Call 01900 881440 or send us an email for any caravan park or  holiday home sales enquiries
Dickinson Place
Allonby, Maryport
Cumbria, CA15 6QE

t: 01900 881440
e: holidays@dickinsonplace.co.uk

Join us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter